Friday, May 06, 2005

i've lied to you all...

bad pun zip it is not 811. it's 8011. what you've really been saying is bad roy zip it. so stop yelling at my stuffed snake named roy.

anyway, here's the quick quick update: we're in northern thailand, safe and sound, though our ankles are swollen and misshapen from sleeping on the bus last night. we arrived in chiang mai after 10 hours on the bus at 4:30 in the morning (we'll be having no more of THAT) and waited around for the 7:00 bus to pai, where we are now. it was a windy road over a green green mountain, with pretty views and a cool breeze that actually forced me to don my long sleeved shirt. a welcome change, for sure. we've found a nice bungalow at the recommendation of kelly and tammy, who, we hear, are just arriving in bangkok today (so sad we missed you!!!).

we also celebrated tonight our six month anniversary of being out here. it feels like just yesterday and forever ago that i was home, preparing for this trip or even deciding whether to go. what i have to say is this: to anyone who helped me decide, thank you thank you thank you. though it is hard at times (when i'm not feeling well, especially) and i get homesick for sure, it is just wonderful and beyond description to be out here. when i think about it with a little perspective, i feel like i'm getting such a great chance to learn about the world and about people, and also worlds about myself. nabia is a great travelling partner and i can't imagine benig out here without her.

so we're doing well, i'm happy, this town is adorable, and i'm not quite sure what the next step is. henceforth, the time remaining gets shorter than the time passed. that means i'll see you kinda soon...

love,
amy
email me

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Ameeee
Ooo, I get to be the first one to post something- yay! I can't believe it's been 6 months!!!!! Craziness! Hey, do they have pad thai in Thailand? I love that stuff. Mmmmm peanut sauce...
Oh, and what does a misshapen ankle look like?

Much love and bad pun zip it,
Elizabeth

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,upon reading your sentiments, first I got a little teary, then, I felt so incredibly proud of you. Whatever bellyache-ing I did before you left (and occasionally AFTER you left), I have to admit this has been and will continue to be an unbelievable year(for me, too) You expressed it so beautifully. I can't believe it's 6 months- feels like you just left, and yet you've been away FOREVER! And the closeness and memories you now share with Nabia will last a lifetime!

Pai looked fantasic when I checked it out online. It seems people have a hard time leaving there as planned, and end up staying much longer than they intended....let's see what happens with you two!

Keep feeling healthy, keep up the awareness of all nasties, eat well, and meet more super people.

Much love,
mom

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two are making history! No Greenwoods or Meghelli's have ever travelled so far. And to still like each other! I'm so happy for you, when I'm not too nervous to be happy. Stay amazed, and well. Love Barbara

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home